Saturday, March 1, 2008

Between Heart and “Heart”

Stumbled upon a blog post by Ben Bryner sweetly entitled with Elton John’s famous single “Don’t Go Breaking my Heart”, I smirked for the way he compared the two meanings of “heart” i.e. centre of emotions and the organ pumping your blood.

The article primarily emphasized the concept that our (cardiac) heart is in the same important value with the (feeling) heart which we tend to take more care of. He mentioned example to take care our (cardiac) heart through better diet (we know that physical exercise is yet another advisable thing), after explaining his experience in cardiac surgery (can you ever imagine? I believe there are such miracles in it).

Now it is my question lying around my mind: why is it called “heart? Why should the organ playing very important role in our body be equalized with our abstract place of emotions? Um ...yeah I know only linguistic and probably anthropological explanation could fulfill my curiosity, nevertheless we can simply estimate it by our own (joking) insight :)

Incidentally, Indonesian language translates “heart” with the term “hati” and uniquely it has also two-sided meaning, even one of them is also an anatomical organ. In Indonesian, “hati” means the abstract place of your feelings and an organ for detoxification; it is “lever” in English.

Though, homonym is one of my favorite tools for joking. One day my close pal complained to me about her boyfriend-wannabe buddy, the one confusing her so, although he stated that he won’t ask for her heart (I think he was dishonest in saying that, I mean ... then what else he had been intended to?).

I advised her to calmly reply, “Yeah I’m sure you won’t. If I give you my heart, how do I pump my blood?”

5 of your comments here:

Adite said...

jadi........
Heart : Jantung, Hati, Center of Feeling and emotion..

banyak amiiirrr... hahahhaa

inda_ardani said...

iya dit entar kita cari aja bahasa mana lagi yang punya homonim gituan, kali aja ada heart yg artinya ginjal ato limpa, kikikiki :p

tom said...

masih bingung nih, hahahahah...
BTW, nice blog....

inda_ardani said...

yeah thx, pokoknya makasih buat atensinya

tutekx said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.